Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Review of Christina Aguilera's Bionic (Deluxe Edition)

I know her album came out over two months ago but I wanted to get a real feel of the album before I even thought about writing a review. With that said I obviously have the album and I have listened to it as a whole many times, so this is actually a true review based on its entirety and not just on a 30 second clip of each song, which IMO based on most of the reviews on Bionic out there they've only listened to the very short clips. I must admit that when I listened to the 30 second clips of each song I was a bit worried and I thought all of the critics were right about this album not being good at all, however, I'm glad to say that Christina proved  me wrong, for the 30 second clips don't do the album any justice. I've reviewed all of the songs on the Bionic album (Deluxe Edition) down below marking each song out of five and then I end it with the score of the entire album.
Bionic: I really like this song it's very futuristic and just plain fun. For some reason though I always think of Star Wars when listening to it, which is weird I know. Out of all of the songs I think this song was a good choice to begin the album with. Despite the fact that I like it I don't think it would do well as a single as it is very different from what's out there and in the music industry it seems like different is considered to be a bad thing. 4/5
Not Myself Tonight: As we all know this was the first single from Bionic and well we all know how that worked out...not good. I think it's too bad that it didn't do better on the charts because it's a very catchy song. However, I think the music video killed it for her with all of the stupid comparisons and the in your face sexuality. With that said there are a lot of music videos out there that are just as sexual and well I don't hear anyone complaining about them. 4.5/5
Woohoo: This song may be too much for people to handle because it's very sexual and it's sung by a woman. I think it's funny how society reacts when a woman is so open about their sexuality; shocked and disgusted. However, I'm glad that Christina put a song like this out there because it's time for women to be able to express their sexuality without shame from society. The one complaint about this song is that it's a little long in length and I've found a better version of it on the internet. 3.5/5
Elastic Love: This is one of my fave songs on the album it's so very different from her previous work. It's very catchy and believe me you will have it stuck in your head after hearing it. I think this should be a single as people are already taking a liking to it..(It's #12 on the most played songs of the year on Amazon). 5/5
Desnudate: I really love this song as well and it's a strong contender for being the next single. I really like the Spanish lyrics in this song as it makes it even sexier. However, I'm pretty sure this song will strike up some comparisons as I've already read someone saying that it's like Britney Spears 'Naked' (which he/she thinks is better). I have Britney's album and it's not  like Christina's 'Desnudate' at all and it's definitely not better. 4.5/5
Love & Glamour (intro)/ Glam: I'm not a very huge fan of song intros, however, the intro to Glam is short enough that it doesn't bother me as much. At first I found this song to be extremely boring but now after listening to it many times I do quite like it. I think it's a song that not everyone is going to like at first (like me) but after awhile they will start to come around. It starts off slow at the beginning but it picks up near the end when Christina hits that long note. 4/5
Prima Donna: This song is another personal fave of mine and from what I've been reading a lot of the other Christina fans like it as well. It's the kind of song that you would listen to while getting ready for a night out. During the song it does sound like L'il John is in the background but I'm not positive on that one. I really can't wait to see Christina performing Prima Donna as it would be epic! 5/5
Morning Dessert intro/sex for breakfast: Hmm I really don't think this intro was necessary, I skip it every time. The song although it's not horrible by any means it is a song on the album that I don't listen to too often. When I first heard the title; sex for breakfast I thought it was going to be an upbeat song but it's sort of in between being slow and fast. 3/5
Lift Me Up: I have nothing bad to say about this song. It's one of my fave songs and it always brings a tear to my eyes. What I like most about this song is that everyone can relate to it in one way or another and I think that's a very important part to being a great artist. She can do so many things with this song live like having a choir in the background or some violin players; which would make this song even more amazing. 5/5
My heart intro/All I need: I have to be honest these are two tracks that I skip a lot. The intro is very sweet as is the song but I tend not to like songs that are about the particular artists baby which may be in part due to the fact that I don't have a baby myself so my feeling would probably change after I do. However, All I Need is a song that I can listen to in its entirety without cringing. 3/5
I Am: At first I didn't know what all of the fuss was about regarding this song but after giving it a few listens I must say that I do enjoy it. In fact there are many times when I catch myself singing the lyrics. I really love her voice in this song; it's just so soft and calming. 4.5/5
You Lost Me: Another amazing song that has an amazing music video to go with it. Out of all of the songs on this album I think this one showcases her voice the most. When 'You Lost Me' was first released it generated a lot of buzz from the critics and other celebrities- Pink and Adam Lambert to name a few and it seems to be doing okay on the charts (currently placing on the BB Dance/Club Play Songs & Adult Contemporary charts). It is quite  possible that this song could earn Christina her 5th Grammy. 5/5
I Hate Boys: This is a very upbeat and fun song which I think should have been released as a summer single. It is ,however, attacking the opposite sex which people of course can find offensive but as us girls know there is always a point in our lives where we are totally fed up with boys. 4/5
My Girls: I really quite enjoy this song but I know that other people find it to be quite cheesy. However, I think it's a very fun girl power song and it's one song that will be stuck in your head like it or not. 4/5
Vanity: I LOVE this song to pieces. You are automatically hooked on the song upon listening to it with its humorous lyrics proclaiming Christina's love for herself. There are certain lyrics of the song that stand out; the opening (I'm not Cocky I Just Love Myself, bitch), (and now I take myself to be my lawfully wedded bitch), and the ending (Let Us Not Forget Who Owns The Throne).When I hear Christina singing the end I just imagine her stomping over all of the other pop princesses. The only complaint is when Max replies, 'You are Mommy' at the very end which a lot of people find cute (and it is) but I think it takes away from the fierceness of the song. 5/5
~* Singles on the Deluxe Edition *~
Monday Morning: I find this song to be quite mellow and very addictive . You will have this song stuck in your head especially the 'nani, naki, nana, nani, naki, nana' part. This song should have been part of the standard edition instead of only on the deluxe edition seeing that it is a popular song. 4/5
Bobblehead: This is actually kind of funny as it pokes fun at stupid girls. When I hear this song for some reason Paris Hilton comes to mind as she isn't the brightest crayon in the box. The lyrics of this song prove that Christina can't stand 'simple' girls which is a major pet peeve of mine too. Quite a bit of people like this song but there are also some who find it annoying which I can understand because it's somewhat repetitive. I think it was a wise choice for it to just be on the deluxe edition. 3/5
Birds of Prey: All I can say about this song is wow! It's very different from Christina's previous work but in this case that's a good thing. Whenever I listen to this song I feel like I'm lost in a fantasy world. A lot of people, celebrities included really like this song which is one of the reasons why it should have been on the standard album as well. 5/5
Stronger Than Ever: This has to be my all time favourite Christina ballad. Her voice is spectacular in this song and everyone can relate to the lyrics. I think this could have been a strong Grammy contender for her but unfortunately it's only on the Deluxe Edition and I never heard of an artist releasing a single that was just on the deluxe edition. 5/5


Despite the unjustified negativity surrounding Bionic it's a really strong album in fact it's my favourite one by Christina Aguilera. As a whole I give the album a score of 4.5/5. I think it would have been perfect if some of the songs on the deluxe edition were included on the standard edition (Monday Morning, Birds of Prey & Stronger Than Ever).

No comments:

Post a Comment